3/4 cup butter, softened
3 egg yolks
grated peel of 2 lemons
5 8-oz packages cream cheese
1/4 cup heavy or whipping cream
1 Tbsp grated orange peel (optional)
1/4 tsp salt
1. With an electric mixer at low speed, beat butter, 1-1/4 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 egg yolk, and half the lemon peel until dough is well mixed.
2. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Press 1/3 of the dough into the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan. Bake 8 minutes; allow to cool.
4. Turn oven to 475 degrees. With mixer at medium speed, beat cream cheese until smooth. Mix in 1-3/4 cups of sugar until smooth.
5. With mixer at low speed, beat in 3 Tbsp flour and remaining ingredients. Beat on high speed for 5 minutes.
6. Press the rest of the dough around the sides of the pan to within 1-inch of the top. Pour in cheese mixture. Bake 12 minutes; turn oven down to 300 degrees and bake 35 minutes. Turn off oven and leave in for 30 minutes. Remove and cook in pan on rack. Refrigerate.