This is another recipe from Marion Cunnigham's Lost Recipes. You can also add left-over rotisserie chicken. Substitute margarine and soy milk.
1 turnip, peeled and chopped
1 potato, peeled and chopped
1 celery root, peeled and chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 cup vegetable broth
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp salt
5 Tbsp butter
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbsp butter, cut into pieces
3/4 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Place the vegetables and parsley into a deep 3-qt. casserole dish.
3. In a small bowl, blend the cornstarch and broth. Mix it into the vegetables with salt and pepper. Dot the top of the vegetables with the butter.
4. Make the dough: Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Rub in butter with your fingertips until it resembles course crumbs. Using a fork, stir in the cream. Knead it in the bowl and dump it onto a lightly floured surface. Roll it out until it's 1/4 inch thick. Place it on top of the vegetables.
5. Bake for 1 hour until the crust is browned. Test that the vegetables are tender.