3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup buttermilk (or soymilk)
1 Golden Delicious apple in 1/4-inch pieces
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin pan.
2. In a small bowl, mix 2 Tbsp brown sugar, pecans, and cinnamon.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, and salt.
4. In a large bowl, whisk the remaining sugar and oil together. Add the eggs, combining well. Add the applesauce and vanilla.
5. Whisk in the flour mixture and buttermilk, alternating until just combined. Gently stir in the apples.
6. Pour into muffin pan and sprinkle pecan mixture on top.
7. Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.